Red Algae, also known as and referred to as astaxanthin is one of nature’s most potent antioxidants classified as a carotenoid. One of the reasons this super algae is so effective for the skin is due to the fact that it protects our cells against oxidation. We tap into the power of astaxanthin in both our topical and internal beauty products to bring you the highest quality active ingredients nature has to offer for both your skincare regime and overall health. Check out the top 15 reasons you should be using Red Algae!
1.Overall Skin Health: Red Algae has been known for its amazing overall skincare benefits including, increasing skin moisture, moisture retention, elasticity, and promoting skin smoothness. We use this in our Brilliant Feather Beauty Balm
to lock in all the moisturizing + anti-aging benefits the super algae has to offer. The astaxanthin content has been proven to increase blood flow which promotes circulation in the skin resulting in cell turnover, amplified elasticity, and increased water retention.
2.UV- Blocker: One of our favorite benefits of astaxanthin is its ability to block UV rays to protect the skin against sun damage and dark spots. The UV blocking properties in Red Algae help protect fish from sun damage under the sea, work similarly for us! A recent study in 2017 revealed participants who took 4mg of Astaxanthin for 2 weeks increased the amount of time it took for UV radiation to affect the skin. We use this Red Algae in our Hawaiian Superfood Beauty Boost
for this reason and the many other health benefits listed below!
3. Neutralizes Free Radicals: Astaxanthin combats free radicals like no other! Free radicals are atomic compounds that have unpaired electrons and a number of health effects. In addition to impacting the aging process, studies have linked free radicals to more than one hundred diseases. One study found astaxanthin to be nearly 65 times stronger than vitamin C in fighting free radicals. This is because Astaxanthin has the ability to neutralize multiple free radicals at once. This process protects the skin and body from oxidation, damage, and inflammation.
4. Powerful Antioxidant: Astaxanthin is able to fight free radicals like no other due to the high antioxidant content. Certain antioxidants combat free radicals through sacrificing their own electrons in order to spare the body’s cells. Other antioxidants capture, neutralize, or break the chain reactions that are caused by free radicals. Red Algae is one of the most powerful antioxidants used in our Birdbath Antioxidant Cleansing Balm
that moisturizes and deeply removes impurities while simultaneously destroying free radicals.
5. Wrinkle Reducer: Astaxanthin has been clinically proven to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by protecting the dermal layer against oxidative stress. The microalgae also have the ability to firm skin and increase moisture through stimulating the collagen network. You can find Red Algae in our Golden Nectar
anti-aging powerhouse serum. Golden nectar helps to tighten, brighten and reduce visible signs of aging and sun spots while the microalgae content aids in neutralizing free radicals and protecting against oxidative stress.
6. Increases Immunity: These super algae are a major immune system boost with the high content and variety of vitamins and minerals that reduce inflammation, prevents illness, and increases vitality. Some of the potent immune supporting nutrients include protein, beta-carotene, B-complex, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, GLA, iron, zinc, phosphorous, potassium, copper, magnesium, and more!
7. Eye Protection: As we age, our eyes are one of the first things that begin to weaken as the lenses inside become less flexible and the connected zonules begin to lose their strength. Eating antioxidant-rich foods with high beta-carotene concentration aids in fighting free-radicals that attack the weakened eye. The extreme antioxidant content in Astaxanthin has the power to support every cell in the body, including the cells in your eyes!
8. Reduced High Blood Pressure: Astaxanthin aids in reducing high blood pressure by calming the blood vessels and modulating nitric oxide. While it is not the primary solution for high blood pressure, the microalgae are supportive and can add an extra boost to the lifestyle and diet changes necessary to reduce blood pressure.
9. Inhibits Cancer Cell Growth: The antioxidant in Astaxanthin activates anti-cancer immune systems within the body and inhibits tumor formation. The anti-cancer effects are also attributed to the pathological process astaxanthin has on the cancer cells. While some patients have seen minimal benefits from astaxanthin, others have healed dramatically with the supplementation. It’s more than worth a shot as a natural cancer combat resource.
10. Brain Health: Astaxanthin has been shown to aid in a number of brain-related injuries. High doses of Astaxanthin are used to reduce brain damage caused by strokes. It’s also been proven to speed recovery from traumatic brain injuries by reducing the internal swelling. Although Alzheimer’s can not be cured, astaxanthin has been used to effectively prevent and treat the growing disease. The high antioxidant content has shown disease reduction down to the cellular level.
11. Protects Against Parkinson’s: Similarly to Alzheimer’s disease, unfortunately, there is no cure for Parkinson’s, however, astaxanthin has been found to slow down and have protective effects against the disease. The combination of high anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and mitochondrial protection contribute to the healing ability of the microalgae.
12. Heart Health: Astaxanthin has been used to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease by reducing LDL cholesterol and promoting HDL cholesterol. It does this while also preventing lipid oxidation in the blood vessels which reduces blood clotting and increases blood flow in the vessels. Astaxanthin has also been used to assist in heart attack recovery.
13. Energy Levels: Astaxanthin is considered one of the primary reasons salmon have the energy it takes to make their upstream voyages. Microalgae have been known to support energy levels in the body for various reasons. The high concentration and quality of protein content in the microalgae act as a complete source of protein, meaning it includes all nine essential amino acids. The dense cyanobacteria in Red Algae are high in iron which is essential for hemoglobin production and assisting oxygen circulation through the body.
14. Athletes Choice: Knowing that astaxanthin supports healthy energy levels, it’s clear why athletes love this supplement. Iron deficiency is most commonly caused by physical exhaustion. Astaxanthin aids in the efficiency of oxygen transportation to keep the body nourished and full of energy to boost performance and recovery. Athletes also choose astaxanthin as a supplement because it is a complete protein that aid is strength building and better stamina.
15. Joint Health:Joint degeneration is primarily caused by inflammation in the body. When the body activates an inflammatory response, it may cause irritation and swelling in the joints. Over time, this inflammatory response can wear down the cartilage and cause the joints to degenerate. The anti-inflammatory properties in Astaxanthin help block COX2 enzymes and suppress serum levels that cause the degeneration of joints.